Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Out-of-the-ordinary Thanksgiving List

On facebook I'm doing a countdown to Thanksgiving of the things I'm most thankful for, but this is a list of those things that might not come immediately to mind for most people. I'm a bit strange, and here's proof.

1) Washing Machines: I lived in the Philippines while serving a mission for the LDS church. For many reasons that I won't go into here, we hired someone who bought most groceries, cooked, and did laundry. But there were plenty of times when we did our own or we stopped to help someone with their laundry. I learned to use a washboard or my knuckles and a bar of soap to get my clothes clean and I can definitely say, I appreciate washing machines. (I'm the one on the right.)

2) Kitchen Sinks: When my husband and I married, we were both poor college students so when my uncle offered to let us live in the 1940's house/office building that had once belonged to my grandfather, we gratefully said yes. Unfortunately, the kitchen had no sinks, stoves, or any appliances besides a refrigerator. We used a hotplate and crock pot to cook and we had a couple of little blue tubs that we could just fit under the bathroom faucet to fill with hot water so we could wash our dishes. I still have one of them.

3) Pooper scoopers: I've bought all the fancy ones. They break. The one we have now is like something from an old 50's movie, where the guy goes around with the garbage bin that flops to the ground and the person sweeps garbage into it, only we use a rake. May be archaic, but it beats grabbing the stuff with a plastic grocery bag.

4) Toilet paper: See time spent in the Philippines from above. 'Nuff said.

5) Disneyland: No reason. I just love Disneyland.

Anyone else? What are the unusual items on your gratitude list?

No comments:

Post a Comment