Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

What's in a name?

I decided I need a publishing company for my self-publishing endeavors, for a lot of reasons, and started trying to come up with a name. Easy, right? No. First, I wanted to name it after my oldest son and daughter, who were instrumental in giving me the confidence to start writing as a career, but BS Publishing didn't seem like a good idea. Cartwheel sounded fun. Taken. I tried a few sci-fi words--all taken. I thought I might name it after my dad, as a kind of memorial since he always wanted to put out a self-help book and never got around to it. Drexel should be easy since it's such an uncommon name, right? Nope. It's a well-known university. Tried a combination of mine and my husband's initials. Nope. I think there must be a million publishing companies out there. And then it hit me. The name that I knew would be available: Drupokamo.

Drupokamo isn't a word, you say? I'm a writer... I'm a FANTASY writer. I make up words all the time. Names for places, people, things, races. What better name for my publishing company than the made-up word that my oldest son and his friend came up with, that means a made-up word. Yes, you read that right. Drupokamo (still not sure I'm spelling that correctly) is a made-up word that means... a made-up word. Perfect for my made-up publishing company that exists solely as a device for my made-up books.

Now for the next obstacle: How to fit Drupokamo on a spine cover. Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment