Search This Blog

Monday, March 10, 2014

In the Eyes

Yes, I have an eye fettish.
When I was seventeen, working at the register in a local drug store, an old couple came to the counter with beaming faces.
"You're a nice girl," said the woman.
I had never seen this lady before in my life. "Um...thank you."
Smiling at my nervous embarrassment, she explained. "I don't have to know you to know you're a good, nice girl. It shows in your face and in your eyes."
The woman was sweet, and I appreciated the compliment. As a religious person, I'd always believed that the way a person lived was reflected in their countenance, but I don't think I'd ever had someone compliment me on that "inner glow" before.
Later, I came upon the passage of scripture which states: "The light of the body is the eye; if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light." It's been my favorite scripture for years.

It's no wonder that I love stories in which people's eyes play a major role, most of which are science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Dr. Who is particularly good at playing with this. It's also no wonder that eyes play a major part in the stories I write. Even if eyes don't change color, the shape, color, and movement of a person's eyes often have metaphorical meanings for me. Sometimes I don't even realize I've written in those meanings until I come back later to critique my writing. I wouldn't be surprised if other people have caught meanings that I haven't. If so, I'd love to hear about it. What are your thoughts on eyes being the windows to the soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment